Saturday, March 24, 2012

Validation From a NYT Columnist

David Bornstein, a regular contributor to the New York Times' Op-ed page, founder of dowser.org, and recent TEDxBYU speaker was in the Brimhall building Friday, and I talked to him. He had just finished a workshop, talking to journalism students about the importance of injecting possible solutions into their articles, when I caught briefly caugt up with him.

He was being hurried along by an attendant from the Ballard Center so I only had time for one question. I asked him about how he comes up with big ideas. I had a hunch that reading lots of good books was a part of it (I've thought this for years), so I asked if that was a factor. He looked me right in the eyes and said that I was right, he reads good books and that helps. He mentioned how reading biographies of courageous people in history helped him have the courage to take action. He said that besides reading books, just associating with people who think big thoughts is important. Those weren't his exact words, but that was the gist of his response.

So that's good. Maybe no surprises for anybody, but I thought it was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment