Friday, January 20, 2012

Forget Answers; I Want Questions

Lately I find myself reading for the sake of obtaining information. This appears to be a good idea, but in fact, I suspect it is not the most effective way to gain wisdom and knowledge. There is an abundance of accessible information in the world. Finding answers isn't the hard part, asking good questions is.

Here's an example. Right now one of the books I'm reading (I usually read about three at a time, cycling between them on whims) is Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. It's a non-fiction book about Orwell's experience as a volunteer fighter in the Spanish Civil War/Attempted Revolution of the 1930s. Why am I reading it? Because the National Review listed it as one of the 10 best nonfiction books of the century and it's less than 200 pages, so I figured I could finish it quickly. The book could have been about nearly anything and I would have read it if it met those two criteria (another factor is that I obtained it deeply discounted as a discontinued textbook.) I didn't even know that Spain had had a civil war ever. I just figured whatever I learned reading this book would be useful to me.

I am right about that, I think. What I learn will be useful. And I find the book mildly interesting. But I can't escape the suspicion that I would be better off using what I already know to ask pointed questions about the world, or really, any subject. I could find sources with with to research the answer easily, and my reading would have more purpose. My current process is passive; the questioning process requires activity and effort. (Both, of course, are better than watching TV all day, so I can feel good about that.)



Honestly, I find it very difficult to posit questions. Either I already know the answer or I doubt the answer exists in any definite sense. I recognize that this is an absurdly proud view. I have an understanding of the world that I am pleased with, and it's hard to motivate myself to add more detail to it. I invite readers to contribute their sympathies, advice, humorous personal stories, or scolding on this subject, because I need a little help.

I read an address given by Elder David A. Bednar at a regional conferece in which he expounds Mosiah 3:19. He teaches that the Atonement is designed to help us "put off the natural man" and "become a saint" and that the two terms are not the same thing. To put off the natural man is simply to "Stop doing bad stuff!" while becoming a saint involves increasing our ability to do good things beyond our natural capacity through the help of the Atonement of Christ the Lord. I will seek that grace for help becoming more inquisitive and having faith that questions I do consider can actually be answered--and will be--as I sustain a studious effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment